Services for Disabled People in Swansea

This page is the text of the Social Services leaflet A Guide to Services for Disabled People in Swansea


Who do I contact in Social Services?

If you have a physical or sensory impairment

Intake Team, Older People and Disability Services,
Civic Centre, Oystermouth Road
Telephone: 01792 636519
Text phone: 07796 275412

If you have a learning disability

Community Support Team, Herbert House, Enterprise Zone
Telephone: 01792 614100

For information about financial assessments

Financial Assessment Team, Oldway Centre
Telephone: 01792 636795

To get a copy of one of the factsheets mentioned in this leaflet

Ask your care manager or
Telephone: 01792 636693 or
Download a copy from

back to top


Social Services is the section of the Council that provides advice, support and services for disabled people.

This leaflet gives brief information on the range of services we provide for physically disabled adults and tells you who to contact to find out more.

It also tells you a little about how you may be able to get financial assistance, and how to contact other organisations which help disabled people.

In Social Services we want to help and encourage disabled people to live as independently as possible. We do this by providing specialist advice and equipment which makes it easier for people to live at home and adapt to their impairment. We also run centres where we can help people learn new skills or find new ways of doing things they find difficult. We may also be able to provide support for people who care for a disabled person.

Sometimes we provide services ourselves; sometimes we have a contract with another organisation to provide the services.

We also have factsheets available which tell you more about a particular service.

This leaflet does not cover services for disabled children. For children’s information please call 01792 515050.

back to top

What help or support can I get?

Social Services staff can give advice to anyone who is disabled. Our contact details are inside the front cover.

We also provide a number of services for disabled people, however we have to be sure that our services are given to those people with the greatest needs. In order to do this we have to carry out an assessment before we can agree what services we can provide for you.

We use a set of rules called eligibility criteria to work out who we are able to help. Our Factsheet 001: Getting Help from Social Services: a guide to Assessment and Eligibility tells you more about this.

back to top

Do I need to register as disabled?

You do not have to register. It is no longer necessary to register for employment purposes. You are entitled to the same services and benefits whether you register or not, provided you meet the criteria. However if you register it may sometimes make it more straightforward for you to get what you are entitled to. Your care manager can give you more information about this. If you have not contacted Social Services before, you should go through the Intake Team Older People and Disability Services.

Factsheet 028 gives more information about registering – Disabled Registration for People with a Physical or Sensory Disability

When you contact Social Services for the first time our staff will ask for some details about your personal situation and the difficulties you are having. Depending on what your needs appear to be, we may arrange for someone to visit you at your home to do a more detailed assessment.

back to top

Some of the Services we provide for disabled people

Occupational Therapy Services

An Occupational Therapist will visit you to see how your impairment affects your ability to carry out everyday tasks and what difficulties you have. They can advise you on new ways to do things, and may be able to recommend specialist equipment which will help you do things more easily. In some cases Occupational Therapists may refer you for rehabilitation services where you learn new skills, or advise you about possible adaptations to your home. Ask for Factsheet 018: Occupational Therapy Services in the Community.

Community Alarms

Disabled people who are at risk of falling or suffering a medical emergency when there is no-one who can help can have a community alarm installed in their home. This is linked to the telephone system and enables the user to call for help simply by pressing a button on an alarm worn around the neck. Ask for Factsheet 011: Community Alarm Service

Home Care Services

Some disabled people are able to have home care services to help them keep their independence at home. This may include help to get up in the morning, assistance with washing and dressing and help with preparing and eating meals. Other services may be provided depending on your assessed needs. Ask for Factsheet 015: Home Care Services – Helping People to live at home

Community Meals

If you have difficulty preparing a meal for yourself and have no-one else to do it for you, you may be able to have either frozen or hot meals delivered regularly to your home. Ask for Factsheet 007: Community Meals

back to top

Rehabilitation Services

These services are aimed particularly at people who are adjusting to living with a physical or visual impairment, perhaps after an illness or an accident, assisting them to maximise their independence and learn new skills. Individual training programmes include independent living skills, IT training using adapted technology, healthy living and fitness. Ask for Factsheet 023: A Guide to Rehabilitation Services at Swansea Vale Resource Centre

Respite Care Services

Respite care services enable you to spend a short time in a specialist care home, which gives you a change of scene and allows your carer to have a break. There are different respite services for physically disabled people and people with a learning disability. Ask your care manager for more information or call the Intake Team or the Community Support Team as appropriate (see contact details).

Support for Carers

Social Services can also carry out an assessment of your carer’s needs, and may be able to provide additional support for them. Ask for Factsheet 004: Carers Needs Assessment and Support for Carers of Adults

Specialised Services

We also have staff who work with people who have a particular impairment or condition (see list below). They can provide specialist advice and support on services, benefits, resources and equipment available for people with that condition.

  • Services for People who are Blind or Visually Impaired (Factsheet 020)
  • Services for People who are Deaf or Hearing Impaired (Factsheet 026)
  • Services for People Affected by HIV (Factsheet 017)
  • Services for People with a Learning Disability (Factsheet 024)
  • Community Mental Health Teams (Factsheet 021)

back to top

Disabled Parking Permits (Blue Badges)

Social Services is no longer responsible for issuing Blue Badges. Information about how to obtain a disabled parking permit is under Transport and Parking on page 11 of this leaflet.

Is there a Charge?

There is no charge for advice or assessment.

There is a charge for some of the services we provide. Sometimes the service has a flat fee. Sometimes how much you pay will depend on how much income and savings you have. These amounts change each year. In some cases you may be asked to complete a ‘Financial Assessment’ so we can work out how much you should pay towards the service you receive, and how much we will contribute. But you don’t have to complete a financial assessment in every case. Ask your care manager for more information about whether or not you will need a financial assessment.

If your savings or income are above a certain level we cannot make a financial contribution towards your care, but we may still be able to help you make private arrangements to have the same sort of services provided at your own expense.

back to top

Direct Payments

If you are eligible for a service, it may be that a Direct Payment is the most suitable way for you to arrange a service that provides for your individual needs. This means that we make a payment to you which enables you to pay for your individual service. Ask your care manager for more information or ask for Factsheet 003: Managing your care with Direct Payments

back to top

How we handle your personal information

When you are in touch with Social Services, we will keep information about you in written records and computer files. We will keep this information confidential, except where we need to share it with people providing you with care, or to protect other people.

You have a right to ask to see records we keep about you. If you would like more information about how we handle personal information ask for Factsheet 002.

Comments and Complaints

We welcome any comments about our services – good or bad. We are interested to hear how we could do things better, and we like to know when we are doing well.

If you are unhappy with the services you receive, we encourage you to make a complaint. Full details are given in Factsheet 016 ‘Making a comment, complaint or compliment about Social Services.’ For more advice or information about making a complaint, you can contact our Complaints Officers on 01792 637345.

back to top

Financial Assistance

Social Services does not deal with applications for benefits or grants, though we can give you some advice about what you may be able to claim. This page gives details of some of the main benefits and grants that disabled people can claim, and where to get more information.

It does not cover every benefit which may be available. You can find a number of on-line links to information about public services and benefits for disabled people at

Social Security Benefits

If you have a long term mental or physical health problem that affects your everyday activities there are Social Security benefits which you can claim.

If you are under 65 you can claim Disability Living Allowance, which has two parts called ‘components’. The Care Component is paid at 3 different rates and the Mobility Component at 2 different rates, according to your needs.

If you are 65 or over you can claim Attendance Allowance, which is paid at 2 different rates according to your needs.

If you are on a low income you may also be able to claim Income Support.

Contact the Disability Benefit Enquiry Line free on
Telephone: 0800 882200
Text phone: 0800 243355

You can also claim DLA, Attendance Allowance or Income Support on-line at

back to top

Other Benefits

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Attendance Allowance are not taken into account as income when assessing whether you are eligible to claim other benefits such as Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Income Support, Working Tax Credit, Pension Credit or Child Tax Credit. If your claim for DLA or Attendance Allowance is successful you may become entitled to increased amounts of other benefits.

For information about Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit contact the Benefits Section of the Council at the Guildhall.

Telephone: 01792 635353

Tax Credits

For information about Tax Credits contact the Tax Credit Helpline

Telephone: 0845 300 3900
Textphone: 0845 300 3909
Your local Jobcentre can also advise about Tax Credits and Income Support.

Pension Credit

For information about Pension Credit contact the Pension Service

Telephone: 0800 99 1234
Textphone: 0800 169 0133

back to top

Grants and Funds

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you need adaptations made to your home to help you with your impairment you may be able to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. You can apply if you own your home or if you rent it from the Council, a Housing Association or a private landlord. To qualify for the grant an Occupational Therapist will have to carry out an assessment of your needs and see what work is appropriate. The grants are means-tested and, depending on your financial circumstances, you may have to make a contribution to the work.


Housing Renewals and Adaptations
Telephone: 01792 635330

Independent Living Fund

Some disabled people who receive services from Social Services are also entitled to a payment from the Independent Living Fund. There are a number of eligibility criteria that have to be met, and some restrictions on what the payment can be used for.

Ask your care manager for more information or see the ILF web site

back to top

Transport and Parking

Social Services is able to arrange transport for disabled people to attend day services when there is no other suitable travel option available. There is a small charge. Ask staff at the day service for more information.

Disabled people are entitled to free bus transport within the City and County of Swansea. You will need to apply for a Concessionary Travel Pass from the Council.

Telephone: 01792 636377

www.BWSTLER.COM provides accessible community transport within the City and County of Swansea for people who are unable to use public transport. There is a small charge. To use their Dial-a-Ride service you must first register with them.

Telephone: 01792 463675

Mobility Advice and Vehicle Information Service

The Mobility Advice and Vehicle Information Service (MAVIS) provides information and advice to disabled motorists about driving, vehicle adaptations and mobility issues.

Telephone: 01344 661000

South Wales Disabled Driver Assessment Centre
02920 555130

back to top

Parking for Disabled People

The Blue Badge Scheme allows certain categories of disabled people to park their cars in places where others cannot park. You can use the badge whether you are the driver or a passenger. You can get a badge if you have a severe mobility impairment or if you are registered blind. Badges are issued at the Contact Centre at the Civic Centre. Forms can be downloaded from

For more information telephone 01792 637367/637366

Information  about the availability of disabled parking spaces in public car parks, and guidance about what to do if you have difficulty getting access to your vehicle outside your home is at

Public Facilities

Swansea Access for Everyone (SAFE)  works and campaigns for a fully accessible city.

Chair: Pablo Rees, Secretary: Brendan Campbell, , Telephone: 01792 641767

Swansea Mobility Hire

Formerly Shopmobility, provides powered scooters, wheelchairs and manual wheelchairs to help people who have limited mobility – through permanent or temporary disablement, illness, accident or age – to shop or visit other facilities within Swansea City Centre.

Contact Details

Swansea Mobility Hire Swansea City Bus Station Plymouth Street Swansea SA1 3AR

Phone  01792 461785 Fax      01792 467614 E-mail –


The majority of public toilets in Swansea have disabled facilities. Some require RADAR keys, which can be purchased from the Council’s Environment Department or the Tourist Information Centre in Plymouth Street.

Telephone: 01792 636500
For further information see

Swansea Council has an Access Strategy for disabled people. For more information see

back to top

Other Sources of Help

The Directgov website brings together information about a wide range of public services. Information for disabled people can be found at

There are a number of local voluntary organisations who assist disabled people. Often they provide support for people with a specific impairment.

For more information contact Swansea Council for Voluntary Services

Telephone: 01792 544000
You can also view their Directory of Voluntary Organisations on-line at

SCVS also host the Swansea Disability Forum.
This is a group of disabled people and organisations that meets to discuss and campaign of disability issues. Meetings are held every other month and new members are welcome. For more information contact SCVS on 01792 544018

Disability Information and Advice Line (DIAL)
Local advice, support and assistance for all aspects of living with a disability.
Telephone: 01792 455565 Email:

Swansea Carers’ Centre
Telephone: 01792 653344
Web site:

back to top

Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB)

Helpline Telephone: 0845 766 9999
RNIB Cymru Telephone:
029 2045 0440 Web site:

Wales Council for the Blind
Telephone: 02920 473954 Web site:

VIsion Impaired West Glamorgan

Contact the chairman Andrea Gordon on 07974 205177 or email

Royal National Institute for Deaf and Hard of Hearing People (RNID)
Telephone:0808 808 0123 Textphone: 0808 808 9000 (freephones)

RNID Cymru Telephone: 02920 333 034
Textphone: 02920 333 036 Web site:

Deafblind UK
Telephone:01733-358100 (voice/text) Web site:

Sense Cymru
Organisation supporting people who are deafblind
Telephone: 029 2045 7641
Textphone: 029 2046 4125 Web site:

Equalities and Human Rights Commission

This has taken over from the Disability Rights Commission.
Telephone: 0845 6048810 Textphone: 0845 604 8820
Web site:

Disabled Living Foundation

Telephone: 0845 130 9177 Web site:
Website includes product information and factsheets.

back to top

Published May 2007, updated August 2008

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *