Community Transport We are campaigning to improve the quality of community transport provision in Swansea. If you would like to get involved in our community transport campaign, please contact Pablo Rees, Secretary, by email firstname.lastname@example.org. or tel: 07423 063941.
- Taxi TextOur Taxi Text campaign aims for Swansea based taxi services to include a text service so that deaf/hard of hearing people or those with speech disorders can book a taxi in this format. If you would like to get involved in our taxi text campaign, please contact Pablo Rees, Secretary, by email email@example.com. or tel: 07423 063941.
- Continence CampaignWe are campaigning to improve continence services across Swansea. If you would like to find out more about our continence campaign, please contact Elinor Evans, SCVS, by email firstname.lastname@example.org. or tel: 01792 544018.
Forum member’s work closely with SAFE and the City and County of Swansea, and provide advice and support at the listed meetings:
- Special Events
- Winter Wonderland
If you would like to be part of these meetings, please contact our secretary Pablo Rees, by email email@example.com. or telephone 07423 063941.
Pablo is setting up an access group with Swansea’s National Waterfront Museum, to monitor the access on site. You can find further information about this new development below.
- National Waterfront Access GroupThe National Waterfront Museum are trying to form an access group to improve access to the museum and monitor access at the museum. They are proposing to meet on Wednesday 5th October 2011 at 2pm. They will arrange a BSL interpreter for this meeting as required.If you would be interested in being part of this group, please email Pablo Rees from SAFE on: firstname.lastname@example.org you can tel: 07423 063941.
- Questionnaire from the Public Transport Users Committee for WalesThe Public Transport Users Committee for Wales are asking about experiences of information provision about public transport. Individual and group responses are welcomed. Please find attached/enclosed a copy of the questionnaire with the e-bulletin. The closing date for responses is 15th September 2011.
- ONE TO ONE REFERRAL SCHEME – Funding available for additional childcare costs for disabled children and young peopleFrom 1st July 2011, the revised One to One Referral Scheme is being piloted at Swansea Council for Voluntary Service (SCVS). The aim of the One to One Referral Scheme is to ensure that a chosen childcare provider can accommodate the disabled child/young person at no extra cost to themselves or the parent. The parent will be expected to pay the normal childcare fees as set by their chosen childcare provider, with this grant being viewed as a “top up”.The scheme is for disabled children and young people aged between 6 months and 16 years. The grant is to fund additional staff required to support a disabled child or young person attending a childcare setting.Childcare can be an important opportunity for children to:Download a copy of this E-Bulletin September 2010/11 in Word format
- Broaden their experience
- Learn to play with other children
- Get used to moving about confidently in different and larger environments
- Play with different – and bigger – toys than parents can provide at home
- Increase their confidence indoors and outdoors
- Access the same out of school opportunities as their peers
To qualify, children and young people must be referred by a recognised professional ( Community Paediatrician, Health Visitor, SENCO). All referrals will be judged on a case by case basis and are subject to available funding.
The grant applies to:
- Full day care
- Child minder
- Sessional care
- Out of School (Breakfast Club; After School Club; Wrap Around)
- Holiday Care
All eligible settings must be CSSIW registered. After School Clubs should also be registered however provided they are School run this is also acceptable.
The scheme is able to fund maximum of 6 hours one to one support a week. The scheme will initially run until the end of March 2012 when it will be reviewed.
If you would like to find out more about the One to One Referral Scheme, please contact Sandra Spratt by Tel: 01792 544019 or Email: email@example.com
Swansea Tennis Centre
Swansea Tennis Centre offer Disability sport sessions. The cost is £3.00 for 2 hours and you can play tennis, bowls, table tennis, or join in exercise classes and much, much more. If you want to find out more, you can contact the tennis centre by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tel: 01792 650484.
- TrainingSwansea Disability Forum were awarded funding from Awards for All Wales in 2009 that was committed to training. Throughout 2010 Swansea Disability Forum held several training sessions, including on committee skills, plan reading and most recently, presentation skills.
- Swansea Disability Forum does not have any training scheduled for September 2011.
- E3 – Equality Education Enterprise – is one of four COASTAL projects run from Swansea Vale Resource Centre. It provides Disability Equality Training to schools, businesses and public and voluntary sector organisations. For more information about COASTAL@Swansea Vale, take a look at the recently published Swansea Social Services newsletter on the following link Here!.If you’re interested in delivering training to help break down barriers; working with businesses to help them become more inclusive; or would prefer to help behind the scenes, we’d love to hear from you.
- The new autumn term Training Programme 2011 is now available to view on the SCVS website: Click Here!.
If you are not already a member of SCVS and wish to join please follow the link Here!.
If you are not already a member of SCVS and wish to join please follow the link here: http://www.scvs.org.uk/join/p1566.html.
Swansea Disability Forum
Charity registration number: 1135336
Address: C/O Pablo Rees
4 Capstan House
354 Oystermouth Road
If you would like to contribute to this newsletter, please contact Emma Carpenter or Elinor Evans at SCVS, Voluntary Action Centre, 7 Walter Road, Swansea, SA1 5NF by tel: 01792 544018 or email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org